Thursday, May 12, 2011

Don't be afraid 'cause we're enough.






I have a friend who makes jewelry out of guitar strings. It's very neat and pretty, you could call it "wearable art" for sure. She came down from Kansas City last year and sold some of her stuff via a booth at a craft show. Her attitude was, rightfully, that her stuff was too good for a craft show in Ponca City, Oklahoma. It kind of made me realize that these craft shows (along with the indie bazaar in OKC) are actually really great. When you go to or participate in an art show the attitude is somewhat "I make art and am more important because of it", where at these craft shows the feeling I get is "I make this shit for fun and you should make some shit for fun too." There's no arrogance in it whatsoever- it's just sharing your hobby with others and if they want to buy it cool, if not, that's fine too. The lady sewing cat designs onto sweatshirts isn't going to stop doing it because she can't pay her mortgage with craft show money. She probably has a real job and other hobbies too. That's how art has always been to me too. I used to not really even show it to people- it was just an excuse to spend large chunks of time listening to music and trying to make something I'd enjoy looking at. The fact is that you or anyone could probably do what I do much better, but the question is- are you?

No comments: